Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bamboo and Briar Pipe by Rex Walden 10/1/2013


This pipe was made out of a block of briar that had a crack all along it's newly formed shank.  I heard it crack when I was filing and I had to take it all the way down until the block was square.  It sat on the shelf for awhile until I had the idea to use a piece of bamboo to create a shank.

I have a lot of bamboo and harvest it myself.  It is hard work, and bamboo, while beautiful is pretty nasty stuff to have in the yard- it runs everywhere.






I have sent photos of the pipe to my wife who is currently in Japan.  She and her family approve and say the pipe is very Japanese looking.  They are not pipe aficionados, but I appreciate the comment anyway.  My wife will be home soon and is bringing me two tins of Momoyama II, which I am looking forward to trying.  I wanted a handcrafted Japanese pipe from Arita or Tokutomi, but they are way too expensive for me at this time (and no discount can be had in Japan- of course).




No comments:

Post a Comment