Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bamboo Pipe with Unique Shape Bowl with Burl Rex Walden 9/25/2013

This pipe was made from a unique piece of briar, so I decided to keep the small triangle of burl on the bottom and really get creative with the shape.  This pipe was certainly influenced by Japanese pipe makers.  At the time that I made this pipe, I was trying to shop online on Japanese pipe shop websites like lsando and have my wife pick up the pipe while she was in Tokyo.  



In the end, I decided the hand made Japanese pipes were too expensive, and that the next time I return to visit family in Japan I would try to trade or at least attend a pipe show and try to get a hand made pipe from an up and coming artist.  Anyway, here is an attempt at Japanese style briar smoking pipe.  Another one can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment